Tuesday, May 12, 2009

WHAT YOU CAN'T SEE

BG12052009

WHAT YOU CAN’T SEE

You know the old adage of what you can’t see can’t hurt you?

By Neil George

Just don’t make me look at it. No, I meant it. I’m not going to look. And if I can just keep myself from seeing it – maybe it just might go away and leave me alone.

Now, you might be thinking that I’m talking about your bank, brokerage and/or pension fund account statements. And sure, that is one strategy that is being used by perhaps too many folks that would just rather not know how badly that they have been harmed by the economic and market mess out there.

But instead, I’m talking about one of my favorite subjects – the environment. I love the environment. Few things bother me more than seeing the air, land and water contaminated by pollution.

Because to me – if you’re making me have to breath air contaminated by soot or watch my water supplies clouded by various contaminants or worse made hostile to life with mercury emissions – then you’re no better than a common thief trying to mug me for my wallet or try to get through my security systems of my homes.

But what’s worse perhaps is not when coal companies release who knows how many thousands upon thousands of gallons of tar ash into water supplies. Or when chemical companies sneak what they claim is treated water into discharges into streams, rivers and lakes.

Rather – it’s when the regulators and government administrators knowingly abuse by either allowing contaminated water to enter our pipes and into our businesses and homes – or blatantly – actually knowingly put the tainted and contaminated water into our homes and businesses.

I’ve written about this countless times – but the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) continues to report that in any given month – hundreds of municipal water supplies are contaminated with some bits of chemicals or bacteria that is above standards. And within those hundreds are 50 or more that are so dire with contaminants – that the water should be deemed as undrinkable.

Take for example the current story of Crestwood, Illinois. This community water supplies are run by the municipality. And up until several years ago – the Crestwood water services were pulling water from a combination of supplies from Lake Michigan and local wells.

But since the underground water supplies were identified years ago as being contaminated with carcinogenic chemicals – the water company was restricted to only using Lake Michigan and was forbidden to use wells.

But since there are limits on pulling from the Lake and the costs were higher – the company thought that they could just add a little bit from the wells as no one would really be the wiser if no one told on them. Well, that worked for a while – but as more and more locals became less healthy – it didn’t take that long before the EPA actually did its job and rolled into town.

And after looking at samples – the EPA raided the offices of the water company and found out the whole story.

There are more likely countless other similar situations of varying degrees around the nation. And as such – it shouldn’t be surprising that there is a part of Uncle Sam Incorporated that is actually funding the rebuilding of water treatment, transport and distribution systems. Billions upon billions – with 8 billion alone for just some pipe projects are in the process of being rolled out.

So, here’s yet another example of how I come up with the companies to invest in behind the news.

The next step is to look at the various components of the water infrastructure market – from pipes to pumps and treatment mechanicals. And there are plenty of them.

One to take a peek at is Pall Corporation (NYSE: PLL). This a company that provides the filtering systems and components for water treatment plants and facilities. So from biological to chemical as well as even for salt water – this is one that’s getting more and more Uncle Sam cash coming its way.

There are plenty of other companies that I’m following – and you be reading more about these in the coming weeks.

Finally, guy that knew what you couldn’t see could hurt you died at 89 years. Hans Holzer was a ghost hunter that loved to poke around anything haunted – including a house that made a town in New York famous or infamous depending on your perspective called Amityville.

Neil George is editor By George and Stocks That Pay You.





The above is only opinion and does not represent and/or offer to buy or sell any security and/or any financial advice. The opinions contained may not be suitable for all investors who should consult their own financial adviser before making any investment or other decisions. I may own some of these same securities noted in accounts under my control or for my benefit.

Errors/Omissions: I always welcome being called on facts, figures and commentary from readers and look forward to your feedback. I can be reached by email at njgeorge@att.net or njgeorgejr@gmail.com or at 01-314-616-3325.